Sunday, September 1, 2013

Yesterday Rose.....Today, Rose....

Rose, the wine, not rose, the flower, that is.....

Tasting at my local VQA featured a trio of rose wines, each made with a different grape, for contrast. Also a couple miscellaneous new wines to try as well.


Le Vieux Pin 2011 Vaila Rose $22

Made with Pinot Noir, it presents a pale salmon colour and notes of rhubarb and pink grapefruit on the nose. Dry and fruity, with a little more grapefruit than I like in a rose, but of the three I tried today, by far my favorite.

Rating: 5.5/10

Moon Curser 2012 Nothing to Declare Rose $21.90

A dark red colour, made from Syrah. My wife described this as her least favorite rose, EVER. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it was close. It's crisp and dry, and the fruit flavors just didn't work.

Rating: 3/10





La Stella 2011 LaStellina Rosato $20.90

100% Merlot, and the least dry of the three. This would pair well with spicy Thai or Indian dishes, neither of which I like, which may explain my disdain for the wine.

Rating: 4/10

Eau Vivre 2010 Malbec

The nose brings tobacco, raspberry and strawberry. The palate is loaded with black cherry, chocolate and vanilla. Tannins are soft and acidity is balanced. An entry level Malbec at $22.

Rating: 4.5/10

Township 7 2009 Merlot

Fruity on the nose and palate, with little complexity or punch behind it. At $24.99, there are many better options out there.

Rating: 3.5/10

One of the least successful tastings I've been to in some time. I guess they can't all be world class though can they?



No comments:

Post a Comment