Saturday, October 12, 2013

Okanagan wine trip, part four

Up the hill to Tantalus Vineyards. This was the most picturesque winery so far, with a breathtaking view of the lake, and huge, beautiful tasting room. This also featured the best host so far, with a young man who knew and loved his wines, and his passion really shone through during our taste.

Tasting fee was $3/person, refunded on purchase, with an additional $3 for the icewine.

http://tantalus.ca/

I'm including a link to the website here as it's really excellent, specifically in regards to details on their individual wines.


2012 Riesling

This reminded me of most BC Rieslings; tart, strong flavors of green apple and minerality, and very dry.

Rating: 74







2011 Chardonnay

Oaked in a combination of French and American barrels for 11 months, this wine presents notes of the rich, buttery Chardonnay that I look for, while still maintaining the fruit flavors. Very drinkable now, but I think this is one that needs to nap for a few years to really reach it's potential. At $29.90, it reminds me in a positive way of some Chardonnays that I've enjoyed in the $45 range.

Rating: 81




2010 Pinot Noir

Cherries and blueberries greet your nose along with a hint of spice that you don't always get from Pinot Noir, and they are joined by a touch of raspberry as the berry flavors dance across your palate. There is a bit of minerality on the long finish that suggests to me that this one is just beginning the long ascension to it's peak, if you have the patience to wait for it.

Rating: 84



And a special bonus tasting:

2005 Riesling Old Vines

Made entirely from vines planted in 1978. Still dryer than I like my Rieslings, but you get the smoothness that only aging can bring you. Lemon zest and slate greet your palate, which also enjoys a long, balanced finish. If you are a fan of BC Rieslings, get up to Tantalus and try this out.

Rating: 80










2012 Riesling Icewine


I think it's common knowledge that I love my Icewine, and this was no exception. A little pineapple greets your nose, while the palate enjoys a touch of lemon along with the beautiful honey that so often accompanies wines of this ilk. At $70 it's not for everyone's budget, but it was the wine I left the shop with and I am planning to put it away for quite a while to allow it to fully develop it's wonderfulness. It was pretty awesome already.

Rating: 90







No comments:

Post a Comment