Sunday, December 15, 2013

So what does 100 points taste like??

On December 1, 2013, renowned local wine critic and author John Schreiner wrote a blog post entitled "an Icewine that should be on your bucket list". Link below.

http://johnschreiner.blogspot.ca/2013/12/an-icewine-that-should-be-on-your.html

Last week I was in Everything Wine in North Vancouver and happened across the Icewine section where I noticed they had one of these, and I picked it up. I've never tasted a 100-point wine before, so I was abuzz with anticipation to try it, and, I admit, a little nervous. Imagine if I hated the wine that a noted local wine critic had given a PERFECT score??? I realize that wine (especially dessert wine) is a very personal thing, and just because a wine critic loves it doesn't mean I'll love it too....but as someone that generally loves Icewine, my chances seemed pretty good.

2012 N'kmip Cellars Qwam Qwmt Riesling Icewine

Flavors of peach, pineapple and honey roll across the tongue. Slight notes of butterscotch as well. Smooth beyond any expectations. Absolutely perfectly balanced, perfectly sweet, perfectly pure. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.

For $60, not everyone is going to go out and buy it...but you should. Icewine, especially Riesling Icewine, tends to improve with age; this is only a year old, and it's the best Icewine I've ever had. No, it's the best WINE I've ever had. Absolutely spectacular. Mr. Schreiner was absolutely right. This is just perfect.

The only problem with this wine is that it's now gone, and I'm going to have to go find another one (or seven). Incredible.

100.






No comments:

Post a Comment