Saturday, January 11, 2014

Put your vini in my bocca

I mentioned in a previous blog entry that I had picked up a couple of mini bottles, 375ml, at a BC Liquor store before Xmas. Last night I opened up the second one:

Masi Campiofiorin 2010 Rosso del Veronese IGT

A red blend combining three grape varietals: Corvina, Rondinella, and Molinara.

My wife had one sip, made a face, and uttered one word: "young".

She's right, this would improve greatly with more time in the bottle; an interesting one to sell in a half-sized bottle. I figured the purpose of that would be to get guys like me to buy one, try it, with the hopes that I'd like it and buy a full bottle. But according to Masi's website, this bottle has a storage life of 15-20 years!!!! That's somewhat unusual for a wine of this price point ($19.99 for a full bottle), but I'm intrigued enough that I'll pick one up and put it away for a decade or so.

For right now, I found it drinkable if underwhelming. Cherries and a touch of spice on the nose, followed by flavors of berries and ripe cherries. As I mentioned, it's still young, and the tannins are a bit sharp, inhibiting the smoothness that this blend should exhibit. 82.

No comments:

Post a Comment