Friday, July 19, 2013

Good wine in Langley?????

Our local wine store has free tastings every Friday and Saturday; I go as often as is feasible, and today was a special treat. Some high end wines from Blackwood Lane winery in Langley.

I've had zero luck, so far, with Fraser Valley wineries; the climate should be adequate for grapes that thrive in cooler climates but what I've tasted so far has been pretty mediocre.

And although Blackwood Lane winery is located in Langley and grows grapes there, they get the grapes for their higher end wines come from vineyards in Oliver and Osoyoos.

Tonight they were tasting three of their more expensive wines:

2010 The Rebel (Syrah) - $44.00

Peppery and full-bodied, this Syrah was good but young. I think it has potential to age into a very fine wine, particularly for Syrah fans.

Rating: 7/10

2007 Alliànce - (Our signature Bordeaux Blend) - $59.00

I have one of these in my cellar and I had never tasted it until now, so this was an exciting opportunity (of course, if it was no good, it would be very disappointing!!!).

This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc did not disappoint. Smooth and supple with a long, silky finish and notes of cherries and spices, this wine is already terrific and would be an excellent wine for a special occasion.

I'm going to keep mine in the cellar for another two or three years, maybe more.....it could easily age for another decade.....but I doubt I'll be able to hold out that long.

Rating: 9/10

2007 The Referènce - (Cuvee Bordeaux Blend) - $99.00

I almost bought this one, instead of the one above, but was advised that it wasn't much better than the one above and was probably not worth the extra money. I disagree, I must say; this wine was absolutely sublime.

A true Bordeaux blend of the same three grapes above, plus Petit Verdot and Malbec, this is the kind of wine we should be exporting to the world to get the word out about BC wines. It's one of the top 5 Bordeaux blends I've ever had, comparable with some I've tasted in the $300-$400 range.

It is already incredibly smooth and approachable, but will age brilliantly for at least 20 more years. I'll be picking one of these up to put into the cellar, and maybe we'll crack it open for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2024.

Rating: 9.5/10


I'm going to take the wife on a tour of this winery one of these days, and will report back on more of their portfolio. Curious to try their other wines, including Merlot and Pinot Noir.


No comments:

Post a Comment