Saturday, August 10, 2013

There's GOLD in them thar HILLS. Or is there?

Today's tasting involved a new player in the BC wine scene, Gold Hill. An Okanagan winery that just opened their doors in 2011, they are considered by many to be an up and comer in the market. After today's tasting, I would suggest they are showing some promise but have a long ways to go yet.

Gold Hill 2012 Viognier I

Floral and pineapple notes make for a pleasant bouquet, but at 15.2% the alcohol masks (overwhelms?) the subtlety of the fruit on the palate. At $21.90, I could never recommend this wine unless you are a Viognier fanatic who likes high alcohol wine.

Rating: 3/10

Gold Hill 2011 Pinot Gris I

Strong pleasant notes of pear greet your senses, giving way to a clean finish of pear, apricot and honeydew. Retails for $18.00 and would pair nicely with creamy pasta or seafood dishes.

Rating: 5/10

Gold Hill 2011 Gewürztraminer I

Intensely aromatic floral notes gave me high hopes on this one, but the off-dry finish dominated by mango was a disappointment. At $18.00, there are many better options on the shelf.

Rating: 3.5/10

Gold Hill 2011 Syrah II

Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, dominates the nose and palate on this simple and smooth Syrah. If you like vanilla, and lots of it, this may be the wine for you. At $26.90 it's an entry level Syrah, but unless you are a vanilla maniac, you can find other options.

Rating: 4/10

Gold Hill 2011 Cabernet Franc II

I'm still looking for that breakout single-varietal Cabernet Franc that knocks me over, and this was certainly not it. Subtle notes of anise and pepper. Would pair nicely with lighter meats such as duck or pork, but at $26.90, I once again have to suggest there are better options on the shelf.

Rating: 3.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment