Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Bobby Heenan would love these wines.....

.....tonight we pay a virtual visit to Red Rooster winery complements of Sardis Park VQA who had a tasting of their wines last weekend.

By the way, if you understand the title of this blog post, a hearty congratulations. You can drink wine with me anytime.

2011 Chardonnay $16.99



Lacking in the buttery notes that I love in a Chardonnay but if you are one who loves their Chardonnay light, fruity and unoaked, this might be for you.

Rating: 5/10









2011 Riesling $16.99


Regular readers are probably tired of my frequent comments about BC Rieslings, so I won't repeat them; this one was a little less dry than many, with vibrant citrus and green apple on the palate.

Rating: 6/10













2011 Pinot Gris $15.99

Very light, and I mean VERY light, with some fruit flavors. The palate shows a hint of spice. One of the least flavorful wines I think I've ever tasted.

Rating: 4/10









2010 Reserve Meritage  $24.99


Strong pleasant notes of berries greet your nose. Black currents mix with the berries and a touch of spice on the palate. Tannins are strong, suggesting another year or two in the bottle wouldn't hurt.

There are many better Meritages out there, but they tend to be at least $10 more, so if price point is important to you, this is a pretty good value.

Rating: 6/10






And here's a bonus rating for you. On Friday night I had dinner in Vancouver at a restaurant that doesn't exactly feature a world class wine list; I went for the most expensive glass of wine they had, a whopping $6.75 glass of Cabernet Merlot...and it was from Red Rooster! I didn't know that I'd be tasting the same winery the next day.

2010 Cabernet Merlot

Pleasant notes of berries on the nose, and even better when it hits the palate. For the price I paid, this was a pretty respectable glass of wine.

Rating: 6.5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment