Friday, September 20, 2013

Tinhorn Creek comes to town

A while ago I was fortunate enough to interview Sandra Oldfield, CEO/Winemaker from Tinhorn Creek. At the time I mentioned to Sandra that I wasn't very familiar with their wine and was looking forward to Sardis Park VQA featuring their wines so that I could finally get a taste; I've never been to Oliver, where they are located. Well, today was that day. I was excited and a little bit nervous as well; I am always honest with my ratings but I didn't want to have to tell Sandra, who was so generous with her time for my little wine blog, that I didn't like her wine!

Fortunately, I had nothing to worry about.





2012 Pinot Gris

Beautiful honeysuckle on the nose and pear with a hint of melon on the palate. Smooth and fruity. This is by FAR my all-time favorite Pinot Gris. At $18.99, go buy one right now.

Rating: 7.5/10












2012 Chardonnay

Very lightly oaked, lacking in the buttery notes that I love in a Chardonnay, but if you are a fan of non or lightly-oaked Chardonnay, this is the one for you. Smooth and very drinkable.

Rating: 5.5/10











 

2012 Gewürztraminer

Aromatic roses greet the nose, grapefruit and a touch of spice on the palate. One of the dryer Gewurtraminers I have tasted but still very good. $18.49.

Rating: 6/10









2011 Merlot

Aromas of red berries and vanilla. The berries continue through to the palate, joined by a hint of blueberries and plum. Aged for 12 years, the tannins are smoothing out, but another year in the bottle would only enhance what is an already drinkable wine. A very reasonable ticket of $19.99 guarantees you get good bang for your buck.

Rating: 6/10










2009 Oldfield Series Syrah

Putting my nose in the glass was like being punched in the face by a jar of berry jam dipped in pepper. Supple with a smooth, lightly spicy finish. At $34.99 it's not going to be everyone's "go-to" red, but if you are a fan of Syrah it's worth the price.

Rating: 6.5/10












2009 Oldfield Series 2Bench Red

A blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, it brings notes of blackberry and cassis on the nose. A very slight touch of mint on the finish is a nice touch. This is very drinkable now and could lay down for 4-5 more years (at least) if you have the patience. At $29.99, it's a good bargain now and if you have the time to wait and let it age a bit, you will almost certainly have an incredible steal.

Rating: 7/10









From top to bottom, a terrific portfolio of wines. I was actually going to buy the Pinot Gris but I was in a hurry, I'll go back tomorrow to buy one. This will be the first Pinot Gris I have ever bought after a tasting. Normally it's just not my thing, but this one hits all the right notes.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dean,

    Great reviews of Tinhorn's wines. Would you pls email me when you have a moment. It's about wine ;)

    Cheers,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete