Saturday, September 30, 2017

Okanagan Trip, Part 12, a review I don't want to write about an unforgettable tasting

Blind Tiger opened in 2015. Their tasting room is tiny (quaint even?), and the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Their labels are inventive and quite cool, to be honest.

They have a lovely little food truck sitting adjacent to the tasting room, and a lovely little seating area for customers to enjoy a pizza and a glass of wine if they so desire. At first glance, this looks like a nice place, and I expected to enjoy my experience.

As we approach, we notice a sign near the seating area that reads "Please don't feed our dogs, something is making them sick, we are trying to figure out what it is".

Poor dogs. I hope that gets settled.

So, why do I not want to write this blog post? Because it is never my intention to crap all over someone's hard work. Normally if I visit a winery and don't like anything at all (which virtually never happens), I'll just ignore it and never bother to write about it.

But these wines were so incredibly bad....so universally undrinkable....that I feel it necessary to share this experience with my readers. I'd love to hear from anyone who has been here and enjoyed the wine.

My distaste for these wines was shared among my other 3 companions, and not a single one of the wines we tasted was consumed; after the first couple sips, they were all poured into the bucket. That is the first time I have ever done that.

So here we go.

Blind Tiger 2015 Pinot Gris ($19.95)

This smelled like sesame seeds and tasted like grain alcohol. You can't make that up. 67.






Blind Tiger 2015 Gewurztraminer ($21.95)

Aromas of lychee and rose water. Mango and lychee on the palate, which was particularly oily. 78.




Blind Tiger 2014 Riesling ($19.95)

Aromas of pineapple, green apple and a touch of diesel. The palate was light, even weak, and the petrol flavors overwhelmed any fruit. 79.





Blind Tiger 2015 Chardonnay ($25.95)

Butterscotch and hazelnut on the nose, with hints of tropical fruit and toasted cereal on the palate. The best of the whites by a country mile. 84.





Blind Tiger 2015 Pinot Noir ($25.95)

Aromas of sour cherry and raspberry. Very light on the nose, and the palate, with some red cherry and strawberry flavors. 82.




Blind Tiger 2012 Speakeasy Red ($36.95)

30% Cabernet Sauvignon/Cabernet Franc/Merlot each, 10% Syrah

Blackberry, cherry and black olive on the nose. Black fruit and a touch of black pepper. Finishes long. By FAR the best wine of the day, but it seems to be a $20 wine in a $37 bottle. 85.



Given the quality of the wines and the sign regarding dogs getting mysteriously sick, I have to question the terroir. I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to make that claim, but this was a tasting experience that none of us will ever forget, although I'm sure we would all really, really like to.

Next up: On our way back to the hotel, our driver takes us to one last stop for the day, Sandhill.


No comments:

Post a Comment