Thursday, November 23, 2017

What am I thankful for??? BIRTHDAY WINE LIKE THIS!!!

Interrupting the latest Okanagan trip blog to bring you two very special bottles.

I tend to take US Thanksgiving off, if possible, so I can sit at home and watch football. It's been quite a while since that corresponded with my birthday, so this year I had a good excuse to sit at home and watch football and drink some great wine. Oh my, did we find a couple of fantastic bottles this year!


Marchesi de Frescobaldi 2010 Luce Della Vita ($89.99)


Sweet Sassy Molassy.

55% Merlot, 45% Sangiovese

Dark flowers, nutmeg, blueberry, black currant, mint, cola, blackberry and a hint of delicious funk on the nose. Blueberry, cherry cola, blackberry and chocolate on the palate. A touch of mint shows up on the long, beautiful finish. Undoubtedly the best Luce I have ever experienced.

I paired the above with my lunch, which was a bunch of cheese, nuts and crackers. Hey, it's my birthday, I can eat whatever the hell I want for lunch!

Paired with one of my favorite chicken dishes, the evening wine didn't disappoint either.

Hartford Family Winery 2014 Stone Côte Vineyard Chardonnay ($65.00 USD from winery)
Caramel jumps from the glass and assaults your nose, but if you pay attention, you'll notice some nutmeg, cardamon and cinnamon as well, followed by hints of wet stone and orange blossom. The palate is sublime, with notes of sweet vanilla, caramel, pear, hazelnut and underripe tropical fruit. Just amazing, featuring vibrant acidity. Crisp and refreshing. I need to get some more of these!

In the grand scheme of the wine world, I am sure there are people out there who had two better bottles tonight, but I bet there aren't many of them. To those of you who DID have two better bottles than I did tonight, I tip my cap.

Next up: hopefully tomorrow I'll find some time to continue the Okanagan trip blog!





No comments:

Post a Comment